View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 AM

j3tang is on a distinguished road

This is what the tank looked like October 30.

It actually looks to me like there's a lot of tiny fuzz/hair on the live rock, is that hair algae?!?! or is it just harmless microalgae? also, it appears as if there were a few dead white worms(?) plastered to a piece of the live rock, should I have removed it before putting it into the tank?

OMG! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?!?!?! I frequently stick my head into the tank and never noticed this until just now! Stuff like that scares the crap out of me! Is that a bristleworm? It's huge!! Some people remove them, some say it's part of the eco-system and should be left in there to do it's job. I've left it in there (because I'm bug-aphobic and don't want to go anywhere near it).

So far one of the things that I've had issues with is the pH. I've received some help from another board member, but can't quite pin point the source. However, the use of Kent Superbuffer has cleared that problem up.

Anyways, this is a FTS of the setup of death currently.

There were 5 dwarf zebra hermit crabs, 2 nassarius snails, and 1 blue legged hermit crab in the tank (along with that nasty looking bristle worm). I found the remains of 1 dwarf zebra hermit crab the same night I found my second dead clown fish so now I'm down to 4 dwarf zebra hermit crabs. I was given extra shells for the hermit crabs, but all the shells seem a little large for them at this point.

I think it might have just been too soon to add the fish even if the live rock was already cured. I will refrain from adding anything for the next 4-8 weeks unless someone else thinks otherwise. I'm just wondering now what I should do with the CUC that's already in there. Should I remove them, will they starve? I've also refrained from turning the light on since the clowns would not come out when it's bright and I don't intend to turn the lights on for the next bit as the 6700K just seems to promote plant/algae growth anyways.

Last edited by j3tang; 11-18-2010 at 12:51 AM.