View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default Micro bubbles

Lately, the water has not looked very clear. It was very difficult to tell if it was filled with small particles or small air bubbles. I decided that I might have a small plumbing leak in one of the closed loops, so I pulled the pump out to have a look.

The impeller was FULL of snail shells (14 in all). After cleaning those out, I pulled the other CL pump and it had another 8 shells in it. My snails must be breeding somehow, as I can't remember even having added that many snails in the first place!

Removing the shells solved the water clarity problem. The shells in the pump were pulverizing the water so much that they were causing cavitation to occur right around the impellers. So...mind your pumps!

Now that the water was clear again, good time for some more photos. These include a few of fish that I rarely get a clear photo of...

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436