View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
Nope, mine does not have ich in it and I don't want ich in it.

That's a myth that every tank has ich. Ich is a parasite and it does not have to be in a tank and on a fish. It weaken the fish and although you don't see the white dots maybe, a certain amount of parasites can still be on the gill and weaken the fish if it become stressed and create an outbreak.
I didn't say every tank does, I said almost every tank does. A person has to be extremely diligent to not have Ich in their tank, and most people either don't put the effort in or make mistakes they aren't aware of which will let Ich slip by unnoticed. I would bet you could get an Ich outbreak in your tank if you stressed them enough, but it would be cruel to prove my case. It's really not that big of a deal, I'm not sure why you seem to think it is.

Fish can/will carry the parasite in their gills "forever" unless you have TREATED every fish in a QT before adding them to your tank you will most likely have Ich in there. Simply quarantining the fish won't guarantee there is no Ich present, it has to be treated. 30% of the fish in the world's reefs are infected with Ich either in their gills or on their body, and it only makes sense that a much larger percentage would be infected in dealers' tanks. If Ich is showing on the body the fish is already severely infected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d
Tank must be fallow for 8 weeks.
Omg kill me for my typo! But thanks for pointing it out. I will change my post in case someone is reading this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d
Fish can still be carrying ich without showing sign so yes an hyposalinity is not 100% garantee to get rid of it but it is much more sure than not doing quarantine, especialy if you have an ich magnet like a hippo tang. Make no mistake, people do lose fish from ich and something many fish.
If done correctly hyposalinity is 100% as with copper treatment and leaving the tank fallow. Those are the only 100% treatments, but many people do not do them 100% correctly. Human error is the only thing that affects the "guarantee".

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-13-2010 at 03:45 PM.