View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 05:58 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
Ricky, Ricky.....they're not banning the Happy meal -all they're saying is stop using toys as 'kiddie crack'. The Happy meal isn't going anywhere -but it won't have a toy in it anymore.

Plus, while you argue that won't stop people currently buying Happy Meals, new kids are being born all the time and maybe if there's no toy, they won't be so drawn to START eating Happy Meals (and that's what Micky D is worried about).

Besides, like I said before, this goes way beyond burgers. Booze, smokes, drugs (prescription and recreational), Starbucks.....these are all things that, when consumed to excess, create problems. Problems for the consumer and society as a whole (through costs to the healthcare system). Yet these are all legal (except perhaps the recreational drugs but work with me here !).

And even if it DID step on someone's 'rights' somewhere, would you rather have an obese kid with his 'rights' in tact and in the hospital at age 12 for bariatric surgery (you wanna know how many tax dollars one of THOSE costs ?); or a relatively healthy kid with his nose 'out-of-joint' because there are no toys in a Happy Meal ?

I'm not in favour of losing civil liberties, but we have more liberties than we need and WAY more than we can handle. You want to censure the vote or tell me how many children I can have -we'll be talking ! But toys in some corporate giant's meal boxes !? Pffft..... we all have better things to do.

<dismount soapbox>
I don't personally feel the toy is the hook, sure they may play with it, but they still eat the crap food, and why are they eating the crap food, because the parent took them their. Without the toy, they will still go. So who's fault is it? I don't think it is the fast food chains.

Instead of governments banning silly things like a toy or a fast food item, they need to look at why girls are starting to menstrate as early as 7 years old, why are they maturing at that age. It isn't the fast food I am worried about, it is all the chemicals in every food item. They use steriods to get the meat to your table in record time, they use chemicals to get pretty looking vegetables to us. GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO REALLY SPEND THEIR TIME TACKLING THIS AREA OF OUR FOOD CHAIN.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk