View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 06:27 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Hmm, my skimmer would introduce bubbles, hadn't thought of that..oops
Plus, I'm using a 75g that will have the brace removed, so I guess baffles would lend some strength as well...
I've got a Herbie on the big tank and baffles and that was the rationalization I gave myself for doing so. I did go with fewer baffles in v2 after the walls got cracked and I'm happy with that decision.

My 40g tank uses a 10g sump without baffles and it's just a straight standpipe open at the top and the BM100 skimmer I use dumps bubbles like crazy. And yet no microbubbles in the tank - the turnover is just right apparently.

My 115g tank has a 28" sump and dual overflows (kinda silly on a 30" tank, but it is what it is) and baffles AND a filter sock can't completely eliminate microbubbles. I hate having baffles down there, it is one tight sump to work any equipment into.

How long will your new sump be, and what kind of volume do you think will be travelling through it?