View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:40 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Your options are plenty! As to what the "best" way to get flow is? I'm not sure there is a best way because it partially comes down to preferences. That is, do you want to use a few power heads, lots of power heads, no powerheads? What walls do you want to put the powerheads on? How do you plan to lay out your aquascape? Are you going to be relying on the return outlet for flow? Closed loop? So many options!

One thing I will recommend though is to make sure there is surface flow directed towards your overflow so that you don't get that oil slick on your water surface. It can be tricky with penn tanks.

Also, as already mentioned, if you run your return line very low in your tank make sure you have some way of breaking the siphon if the power to your return pump goes out, otherwise I guarantee that you will flood your sump and have a wonderful mess on your hands. Some people like to use check valves. I personally do not because I've had one fail on me, but plenty of people have success with them.