View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 PM

NanoHuman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NanoHuman

MY custom CREE system cost around 250 dollars to build, and with the Meanwells dimmable ballasts being controlled by my APEX, it is identical in performance (or better) to a system that costs 4 times as much like one from Pacific Sun or from Vertex. I think the CREE lamps are better than the ones that Vertex uses in their current system that is on the market, and well Pacific Sun uses CREE lamps. I am able to completly simulate the photoperiod from sun rise to peak power to sunset. Features which command several thousand dollars in stand alone units. Of course this control depends on owning a system that control a 12v source for the dimmer like the APEX, but there are alternatives.

My LEDs create a shimmer that equals or surpasses that of MH systems, I have unlimited control over the temperature by controlling independantly the blue and white lights and it uses almost no power at 72W, 0.9 Amps.

My tank is an SPS tank. Evidence of the power is found in my tabling montipora which is at the very bottom of the tank. About 1CM of new growth is growing directly up, an indication that it is getting more than it needs in light. I am going to move it to a more shady location as a result.

My system currently peaks at 80%, takes 2.5 hours to ramp up to 70%, same time to go down to 0%. I have it go from 70% to 80% 4 hours after the 2.5h ramp period and stay there for 1 hour, then the cycle goes in reverse.

The heat produced is such that you can place your hand on the ballast or ontop of the hood and not risk a burn or even discomfort.

Last edited by NanoHuman; 09-23-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added info