View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 PM

JonT is on a distinguished road

If I were to go online, and post pictures of my new black lab in a 2' x 2' room. Will anything be done? What, if I said that was where he was going to stay forever, and that I would only use a shovel to clean up after him (nope, not using cloth's or cleaners), and that I know he will get bigger, and benefit from a larger space, and that I think he is so cute, I might get two more!!!! (sorry for the run on, it was done intentionally)

What would happen? I would be in jail. Animal cruelty.

So, think about all the boards we frequent... Now think of how many times you have seen the same thing... I have a 40 gallon cube (details) then a huge stocking list including tangs, and other fish that will get bigger etc. And all of this will be maintained with inadequate filtration.

Not far off from what is being done to the dog, but with fish.

What happens? Nothing. The community will normally try to encourage the person to reconsider. Some will do it more passionately than others. But no matter what, they will not be charged with animal cruelty. Isn't it though?

I don't think a total ban should be the case. But it is easy to see why it would be included in the blanket ban.

I do however think that not everyone should be able to get whatever animal they wanted. If I go to a big box store, or a small LFS, they will order the fish if I am willing to pay for it. I would really like to think that the stores would make sure that the person could care for the fish. But I don't see it. How many fish stores carry groupers? Sharks? Idols? Nudibranchs?

What would happen if we all had to register our tanks with the city? Permits to get the fish (much like most places do with cats and dogs)

I love my fish, I do what I can to ensure they are taken care of. But there are many people with too much $$ that are helping to ruin our hobby. It is easy to see why they are looking at doing this.