View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 PM

milano07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoHuman View Post
I own this tank. At the current sale price for the system with the stand at Ocean Aquatics it is a great deal, almost 50% the price that I paid for it in March.

The LEDs are cheap chinese, 5 strips of 5 "3W" screwed down to a heatsink with thermal paste. When I took the system apart a few of the lighting stats did not add up. The driver pushing the 466nm blue lights is only 600mA, when they rate it at 700mA. The white lights, that they rate at 14k are more like 10k. The whites are also only running at a reported 700mA.

In May after my cycle and setup was complete I built a custom CREE XR-E based LED system using the existing hood and heatsink. I did modify the cooling to use two blowers instead of their odd 24v 50mm fans. MY tank is entirely SPS and Clams and this is the reason. I have no confidence in the lighting for this application.

If you are going for softies and fish, I would say it is still not sufficient since the amount light in the blue spectrum is lacking. I would supplement it with one of those blue LED strips that are a dime a dozen on the market now.
Yeah, I noticed that Ocean Aquatics has this LED set up on sale. At 359.99 before taxes, this is a great deal. However, judging by what you said above, the LED lights are not of great quality which sucks.

I wonder if anybody else has any experience with this exact set up. It would be great to get more reviews on it.