View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Imo Vertex IN series would be comparable with EuroReef RS series in performance, but not build quality (where EuroReef RS takes the cake in this comparison). If only performance is taken into consideration, I would put both EuroReef RS and Vertex IN as mid-range quality. It is true you will pay a significantly higher price for a high-end skimmer. I have a EuroReef RS-180 on my 90, and although it does a good job I wouldn't go exclaiming its brilliance.

One thing many people don't consider when choosing a skimmer is the volume the manufacturer suggests for the skimmer is usually anything from a bit to a lot optimistic. The reefer's expectations also play a role in what the skimmer is capable of. For example, if someone is replacing their Remora with a Vertex IN he is going to think the Vertex is the cat's meow, but take someone who is replacing their Bubble King with a Vertex IN and he may be disappointed. In the end, it is all relative, but that's beyond the focus of your question (I think?), and in relation to the question I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

On the other hand, in my experience, I have found that most LPS and softies do better with an under-performing skimmer or even skimmer-less setup.

--------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I paid $1300 for my Vertex. It better be high end.
Read my post closer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka
Imo you can't over-skim using a Vertex IN skimmer, period.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-18-2010 at 04:26 AM.