View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I siphon water from my 210g reef display into my 120g fowlr's sump.

At the same time, I siphon from the 120g fowlr display down the bathtub.

At the same time, I pump from 2 or 3 55g barrels into my 210g reef's sump.

By recycling the reef water into the fowlr and dumping the fowlr water down the drain, I can do 100-150g water changes without going broke.

In general, the 210g reef will end up with 100+ g of new sw, the 120g fowlr will end up with 50g of new water and 100+g of reef-tank recycled water.

I let the water drain almost completely out of the reef's 75g sump before I start pumping in the new water.

Not for everyone, but what works for me.

I allows me to do over 100g water changes on both the 210g reef & 120g fowlr at the same time so dones in about 1 hour from the start of the first siphoning action till I'm rolling up the flexible tubing to store away at the end.

Unfortunately, tearing down the fowlr so won't be able to use this system again in the future.

On the plus side, my new 220g Starfire tank is almost set up and will be running by the weekend. Woohoo.

At that point, I will be simply draining 100g each out of the displays (again by letting the return pump suck up all the sumps' water, before adding new water in.

Anthony