View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
Big difference being that the Magus, and other lower costing units were copies of the high end skimmers that had big $$ spent on R&D. This thing looks more like a seaclone than a high end skimmer.

When the magus was used, it did preform similar to the high ends, I am going to wager my money this will preform similar to equal units like the seaclone.

I would have to agree with a comment above. Save a bit more, and get a better, and known unit.

Side note, that seller is selling lots of items that are lower priced knock offs. I am sure that they don't use the materials that the brand named versions do, and thus you could be risking your tanks health.
This is correct. If you're going to knock something off, knock off a high quality product like Bubble Magus did.

A skimmer's performance is primarily influenced by two factors: 1) It's ability to mix air with water and 2) The size and shape of the reaction chamber where said air/water is mixed.

Powerheads (like maxijet knockoff used on the skimmer in question) are known to do a poor job of drawing air for skimming as compared to centrifugal pumps. Lower end HOB skimmers like the Seaclone, CPR and AquaC Remora all rely on powerheads. With less air draw, you get less skimming. Notice that the specs of this skimmer doesn't include any air draw numbers. There is no way that the same puny powerhead will miraculously perform better on this skimmer than other poorly performing skimmers.

The reaction chamber of this skimmer is absolutely puny according to the measurements provided. There's simply no time for the air and water to mix. Note how on much larger the reaction chamber is on high-end skimmers. The Deltec MCE600, which is the current gold standard for HOB skimmers, works so well because water is in contact with the injected air for nearly the entire path that the water travels through the skimmer body.

There is no way this skimmer can properly skim anything close to 150 gallons. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by fkshiu; 08-13-2010 at 12:07 AM.