View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Trying to cure HA with livestock is like taking aspirin when you have cancer -it may make you feel a bit better but it's doing nothing to cure the underlying problem.

HA is caused by excess nutrients in the water and light. Remove either of those and it will die. Since other things in your tank need light, you're best to remove the excess nutrients

The good news is that in a new setup it's normal to have less than ideal water parameters. Use good water (RO or Ro/DI) and do regular water changes and learn to test your parameters regularly. It'll take a while but it will go away eventually.

I had bad HA when I started and it vanished. Recently, it's back so it means I slipped somewhere.

Manually removing as much as you can will certainly help (it'll make you feel better too !). Putting a Sea Hare in there temporarily (they will starve and die when the HA is gone) will also help. Some LFS rent them so ask around.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.