View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 05:11 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road
Default Tylers ~300Gal System Build. *The epic failure*

So not sure exactly how many gallons this system is going to be as I not found a tank yet for this. Im looking used and am going to try to pick something up when im in edmonton here in 2 weeks. Basically what I have been thinking about lately is the closed loop system and return system, really trying to figure out a good flow pattern to eliminate powerheads and provide as close to nature as possible. This is basically a test tank scaled down to try things before I invest in the large tank for the living room. I thought I knew a bit about saltwater and started a tank but we all know how that goes. Ideally I would like an external coast to coast overflow. Im more or less looking for opinions on the closed loop system and return system. Please keep in mind this is still on paper and is in pencil for corrections. Other systems are basically going to be the same as others. Metal Halides (preferably the tank will be large enough to use one of my 400W pendants I picked up from a fellow canreefer) and T5HO for actinics and purples if I want. Another thing I would like to play with before the big build. Large skimmer. Reactors and such for carbon, gfo. I think I will be trying the Apex controller. Tunze auto top off. Ill get more into those details later. So this is basically what I was thinking of trying to pull off.

So this does not show exact placement of plumbing as I will need to orient them so they will actuate properly to change the flow pattern and the upper spray bar will have to be just under water for when it is used as the suction side (another beauty of an overflow as DT water level will not vary. I will use 1 or 2 electric actuators with brackets to attach the valves together and timers and such. Haven't sorted out the electrical side exactly yet. I imagine it will be pretty fun. I also have not sorted out flow yet till I know tank size. That will also dictate pump size as well which will also be variable to be able to simulate the slowing and speeding up of tidal flow. Im also thinking of adding in another pipe for introduction of plankton, rotifers, other food and such but will get to that later if the idea is not scrapped. Im going to use slip bulkheads inside the tank so that I can pull the pipe out and apart for easy cleaning as I am sure a snail or something will manage to work there way through the spray bars and well im sure the spray holes will clog over time so ease of cleaning or even replacement is key. The box you see before the pump is going to be a sponge or filter sock basically to stop any foreign items from hitting the pump. Also since im sure everyones wondering why I would want to look at an ugly spray bar in the front of my tank Im actually planning on having a 30 or 36" tank for the big tank and will use a piece of trim along the bottom of the tank. It wont show the sandbed directly but I think will be an ok compromise. Usually there is just algae there that I cant get as im afraid of picking up a piece of sand and scratching the glass. (not a big deal with this tank but will be in the big tank)

This is kind of what im thinking the tidal flow will look like in the tank. The large black area should be the main flow of water. Im using a low spraybar in the back which im thinking will be mostly hidden by the reef so an ok comprimise with lighter flow to eliminate a dead zone behind the rock. It will be reduced flow but enough to keep water moving. I am a little concerned about the turbulence that may be created in the zone in question. Might be nothing too.

This is what im thinking of using for my return plumbing. It will be directed at the top of the rock for an sps area (simulated waves). Tidal flow more for the lps and softies. What I have been wondering is with the tidal flow in a high to low tide flow, (water going from upper spray bar to lower bar) and having the water rise up and hit the overflow that is behind the upper spray bar from the return plumbing system. Not too sure what that water flow would look like to the overflow and the only thing im concerned about is that it may not be the best for grabbing that ideal upper column of water for better skimming. Well thats all I can type for now got to go take the puppies for there walk.

Last edited by zum14; 12-06-2010 at 04:35 AM.