Thread: newest project
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.c.d. View Post
how big is your pool? In ground? This is interesting, I looked at a solar thermal system for my pool but it looked a little rinki dinky. Id be wondering the equation on the pool, length of tube to gallon of size of pool.
it is an above ground that is 19' dia by 52" deep. so 8000 gal.

the sizing I found is basicly gal/10 gives you the amount of feet you should need. then you can add from there. I have about 1/2 of what was recomended as I wanted to try it first and 400-500 feet is a good amount to make a coil using 8 foot 2x4s for the frame.

I calculated the initial BTU output at 6023/hr but that was with a flow rate of 1.2L/min. I niticed the inner 1/2 of the coil was still getting quite hot so there was waisted energy there, so yesterday I upped the flow by going to a mag 3 instead of a mag 2. now you can still feel a bit of temp difference but the inner tubes are warm instead of hot which means I am getting more heat into the water now, so I might be getting a little more power out of it.

Sence this test was sucessfull I am going to buy another 400 feet of tube and add another coil in parallel. If it didn't work I was just going to use the tube next spring for drip iragation for the garden

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.