View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 AM

steveg is on a distinguished road
Default Skimmer

I had seen an amazing tank - http://www.underseadiscovery.net/ which used an ETSS skimmer, thought to myself, that looks good to me so I departed from the needle wheel skimmers I have used in the past and got the 900XR with a collection vessel. The recommended pump for this downdraft skimmer is an iwaki 55RLT, I was advised that an equivalent pan world would do the job equally as well and went down that route "saving" some money.

The skimmer did not perform as well as I had expected until the pump died. Kevin from Red Coral in Calgary offered to loan me a dart pump which is 3600gph, over 3 times more gph than is recommended. I changed the plumbing and fired up the beast expecting to have to make serious use of the ball valves I had installed to reduce the flow. What a difference, Kevin will have to surgically remove the dart from me!!!! Thanks kevin.

Anyhow the skimmer is now working like a dream and producing well, decide for yourselves...

The collection vessel comes with a built in shut off to prevent the skimmate from overflowing if it gets too full, it works too!