View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

If your looking for a more natural option, read below but to completely remove them from the tank its imperative to inspect every zoa for the egg sacks. I found that yellow and purple corris wrasses worked very well.
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Zoa eating Nudibranch Eating Wrasses
Many of us have had the unfortunate experience of combating Nudibranchs in the past. I don't wish them on anyone as they will wreck continuous havoc on a zoanthid population. Many will only keep Palythoas as a sort of proactive measure to keeping their reefs Nudi free. It is still possible, if great care is not taken, to infest your tank with Nudibranchs. They will Hitchhike on rocks without a single zoanthid present. It certainly happened to me many moons ago, I simply forgot to dip and true enough, BAM, a Nudi. I have seen them in stores on rocks without a single zoanthid or palythoa on the rocks. From many hours of just watching them, they will consume one rock, then travel to find more polyps to consume and yes, they will travel across other rocks to get to the next colony they want to devastate.

Dipping, close visual inspection and QTing are the most noted ways of preventing infestations, but a good hunter always on the prowl will also decrease the amount of time the infestation will occur. For this reason, lets create a list of known Nudibranch consuming Wrasses for future reference. Listed below are a few that I have heard of, but I'm sure their are many many more, so please take a moment to share everyone. It could truly help a fellow reefer in need some day.
All WRASSES
1. Yellow Coris
2. 4,6 and 8 Line The 6line ( can be a real PITA ) MAY kill other wrasses
3. Lunar
4. Possum (reefsafe)
5. Orange Striped
6. Christmas ( questionable with inverts will kill starfishes )
7. Pink Striped
8. green coris
9. leopard wrasses ENEY
Not a wrasse the target mandarin,
Some have said most anything in the Halichores Family as they are serious stalkers.