View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

For me tiger tails are my favorite for sand bed cleaning I find they do the best job. They constantly vacuum the surface of the sand(dirty sand goes in one end and clean out the other end). I have never had a problem with one in over four years other than they tend to slowly, over a long period, move the sand to the back of the tank.

Conchs are really cool and are good for stirring the sand and eating diatoms and algae on the sand. Fighting conchs are probably the most common reef safe conch. Their are lots of different kinds some get to large, most are reef safe but some like the Crown conchs can be preditory feeding on other snails and sand bed organisms.

Nassarius snails are another favorite of mine they are great detrivores but they do not eat algea. They are like sand submerines with their periscope sticking up and with the first smell of food or dead matter they come out of the sand like surfacing subs in full attack mode.

Most starfish have low survival rates due to shipping stress, poor acclimations, and starvation.