View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

I just recently got into saltwater tanks so I am by no means an expert. My tank is roughly the same size. I too was torn between the nova extreme and the tek fixtures. From the research I did the tek fixtures are of better quality, they have idividual reflectors for each bulb where as the nova fixtures have a parabolic reflector that isn't as effective. I wasn't sure about six or eight bulbs but eventually decieded that if I had good success starting out that i'd probably want to get other coral with more light demands.

I decieded to go with the 8x54w Nova Extreme fixture. I went with the Nova Extreme because the eight bulb tek fixture was two inches too wide for my tank. I think the individual reflectors take up more space than one general reflector. I would have had an inch overhang on each side which I didn't really like and the price on the nova extreme was right for me. This might not be an issue if you go the six bulb route but something you might want to check into.

Looking back with my purchase I am pretty happy. It puts out ample light for all my LPS and softies. The built in moon lights are nice although mine came with white led's and not blue ones. I think I might have prefered blue but something I can always add on myself. My one and only knock on the Nova fixture would be fan noise. When all eight bulbs are on and both fans are turning there is a hum from the fixture but since this is my first tank I dont have anything to compare it to. I know the noise is there but its something I can live with.