View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 05:50 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I like the Beckett skimmers. I run a 30" tall PM Bullet 3 on my 340 gallon system with my return pump T'd off. My return pump uses about 300 watts (running from the basement up to the main floor) and it runs my main tank, a 40 gallon frag tank, a 20 gallon frag tank and a Beckett skimmer. I'd say that's pretty efficient for running all of that. My pump was just over $260 shipped to my door (mind you I bought it on a promo deal). The skimmer is a set and forget type skimmer and I clean it once every couple of months (other than emptying my skimmate collection container once a week).

The Beckett Skimmer won't cost you $50 to make though even if you have all the acrylic. The beckett alone is about $20 I believe, and the gate valves are pricey. However, I have made Beckett skimmers that don't utilize a gate valve but use other water height adjustment techniques.

I guess the point of this post is that if noise isn't a concern, then becketts are awesome skimmers (the beckett skimmers tend to be a bit louder due to the amount of air that gets drawn in, but I guess you could employ various "muffler" strategies though).