View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I would definitely consider a LED fixture if
  • The LEDs could be easily replaced with a somewhat universal LED design (open up competition in the future).
thats going to be hard as die's are propritary, but all that being said I guess you could solder any LED to almost any die so who knows.. the easy answer would be to design a holder for the die that attaches to the heat sink. at any rate I understand this one as it is easy on any fixture if you know ho to use a solder gun right now but if you don't..
  • Quote:
    The fixture was visually appealing (something like the giesemann fixtures).
like any other lighting I can see nice ones and ugly retro kits.. you have the ability to have a more sleak looking fixture with these maybe two inches thick
  • Quote:
    Made from quality material like aluminum and did not require fans.
I think they will all still require fans, at least the high end ones, but the difference will be in the size of the fans. a realy good heat sink design will have small almost totaly silent fans that just insure air movment over the fins, where cheaper designed units will have larger fanse and depend on bulk air movment ro remove heat.
  • Quote:
    Remote drivers making the fixture light enough to be hung easily from two single points.
already being done.
  • Quote:
    Controllable by 0-10V interface.
same here, it all depends on the company designer and which ballast he picks. I think some will have intagraded controlers also so they are independant from your other equipment.
  • Quote:
    Minimum 3 year warranty
Quote:
With all that I would expect to pay between $2000-$3000 and would be happy to do so.
hmm.. If I was making a high end product like this I may concider this but 3 years, as a bumper to bumper wouln't make sence.. how about something like 1 year on ballast wiring, electronics, 4 year on LEDs ?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.