View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 04:25 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

That's good news about fixtures already having ways to easily replace the LEDs, I didn't know they where being made like that yet. Sounds like the MAX fixture is going to be somewhat more economical than the AI as it sounds like it takes a more universal LED replacement where as the AI requires replacement sets that can only be purchased from the manufacture. Ideally a standard should be introduced to all these fixtures for an easy screw in replacement or something so various lighting companies can make replacement LEDs just like metal halide and T5 bulbs.

Basically it seems now my only real concerns are reliability and lifespan. I have extreme doubts that these things will do more than half what they are rated for but I guess time will tell, it's just an awfully long time to wait. I would definitely consider a LED fixture if
  • The LEDs could be easily replaced with a somewhat universal LED design (open up competition in the future)
  • The fixture was visually appealing (something like the giesemann fixtures)
  • Made from quality material like aluminum and did not require fans
  • Remote drivers making the fixture light enough to be hung easily from two single points
  • Controllable by 0-10V interface
  • Minimum 3 year warranty
With all that I would expect to pay between $2000-$3000 and would be happy to do so.