View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Eugene- View Post
So would you say that the PAR value decrease is correlated to a decrease in intensity and color spectrum shift not intensity alone? now that you've mentioned that its % of intensity drop in certain spectrums.
I would say that PAR is obviously related to CCT, different bulbs produce different PAR based on this, but not so much for the change of PAR overtime from bulb wear. A decrease in PAR would be more a result from a decrease in intensity alone as changes in CCT could either increase or decrease PAR or even remain constant.

So I guess to sum up what I'm suggesting is a decrease in par is a result of an overall decrease in intensity while a change in CCT is a result in a shift or varying fluctuation in intensity over different wavelengths. CCT and PAR are not directly related when we're looking at bulb wear.

So when comparing LEDs to halides, LEDs will still suffer from a decrease in intensity and therefore PAR but the rate of reduction of intensity in LEDs is less than halides. The narrow spectrum in LEDs makes the change in CCT is basically unnoticeable while halides suffer greater changes due to the more broad spectrum. So LEDs obviously last longer but halides are cheaper and easier to replace and by selecting bulbs with a more concentrated spectrum in the right areas you can extend you bulb life dramatically.