View Single Post
Old 05-24-2002, 05:34 PM

Jack Rainville is on a distinguished road
Default Smaller tanks overheating in summer?

Quote:
Originally posted by Troy F:
Jack, there is a huge amount of debate about Ron's point of view. Many long time hobbyists don't agree with the higher temps he is a proponent of.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I know. Ron calls the writings by some of the best known hobbyists on this subject "idiotic twattle" and that their opinions "don't matter". :rolleyes: I don't see why he has to call people stupid just to try to make his point.

Anyhow, while I may not be a big fan of Ron Shimek's personality, I do agree with some of the things he says. In this case I agree with him for the simple fact that the conclusions he draws are based on real life measurements of temp/salinity on the reefs from which our animals come, and on the studies by several other scientists on the effects of unnaturally low temperatures on the metabolism of ectothermic animals. The approach I prefer to take is to make the creatures as comfortable as possible by mainting conditions closer to what they experience in nature.

In our tanks, we keep things that come from a lot of slightly different reef environments so it's nearly impossible to make them all happy anyhow.