View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
I located a used MP40W, about two years old. Does anyone know what the lifespan is of these pumps?
My first one is almost two years old and still going strong. It was originally a Gen 1 and I've done the magnet/firmware upgrade... new shaft, bearing etc. If you haven't fired it up, go for it and you'll know fairly quickly whether it needs some service. There is a ceramic bearing which is considered a wear item requiring replacement eventually. Similar to an impeller replacement on conventional powerheads. Other than that, as long as the remaining moving parts and electronics are ticking, it should run relatively trouble free for years to come. Keep the dry side dry and keep the driver away from moisture and you're good to go.

One of the bonuses of these pumps is that many components are easily replaced by you, the user. A new wetside is pretty reasonably priced, so although the initial investment is expensive, these pumps will probably save you money in the long haul.