View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crytone View Post
I disagree with this point. I haven't had any problems in years with any PCs and any problem I have had has been hardware related (which were either DOA on my initial builds or died several years into service). I think the main reason people feel that way though is PCs are far more dominant in the marketplace. Let's suppose Apples have a 1% failure rate but only 10% of computer users own an Apple. Let's now suppose PCs have the same 1% failure rate but 90% of the users use PCs. You're going to see WAY more PCs than Apples fail just from simple math, roughly a 9:1 ratio.
You would think that may be the explanation and it sounds logical but it's not so. Apple and Macs score very well in independent measures of reliability:

http://pcworld.about.com/od/officeha...for-Reliab.htm

http://www.macworld.com/article/1466...liability.html

Steve, I don't see why people have to get on Apple's case for protecting its patented inventions. Plenty of companies do it. Apple has been sued many times for patent infringement too. What usually happens is that the company being sued ends up paying a license fee to the company holding the patent. Apple pays license fees to plenty of other companies and in the past Apple and Microsoft ended up suing each other for patent infringement. They settled and agreed to cross license each others patents. So it is doubtful that Apple will (or even could) put HTC or Nokia or Google out of business. They will simply force them to license the patented technology. Same thing with Xerox. If you think Xerox really wants to stop Apple selling iPhones then you don't know how this works. They want Apple to sell lots of iPhones and pay them some fee for each one sold. That's the game with patents.

I do not blindly support Steve Jobs or Apple. But you can't deny that Steve Jobs does have a talent for finding good people and driving them to make the best technology they can. Apple and Jobs have changed the technology landscape and I guess some people have a problem with that. Before Macintosh there was no consumer GUI. It was all experimental stuff developed by Xerox. MP3 players existed before the iPod but they were clunky and had lousy interfaces. Apple put a great package together with excellent hardware (iPod), great software to manage your music and MP3 player (iTunes) and then added the store so you could easily purchase the music you want. Nobody else integrated it into a compelling and easy to use package for the consumer.

Then came the iPhone. It again revolutionized the way we interact with technology with a multi touch screen and OS built around it. Now everybody is copying them. None of the fancy touch screen phones out there would exist today as they do without Apple paving the way. I guarantee that.

So now keep an eye on the iPad. I think that story is just unfolding and it will again revolutionize mobile computing and communication and how we read/interact with newspapers, magazines and books. Apple is an innovator and leader not a copier like everybody else. They take new technology and integrate it into well designed, stylish and easy to use devices and then everybody else runs to catch up. If that sounds to much like a fanboy statement to you well to bad; it's reality.

Also, if you think that Apple really wants to slow down development of the iPhone which will stifle innovation then I think you are sadly mistaken. Apple is built on a culture of innovation and they will bring out newer and better iPhones every year regardless of what the competition is doing. I think Apple likes competition because it helps motivate them to keep a step ahead of everybody else. All these articles are just stupid statements by anti-Apple media. I know people inside Apple and they are highly motivated to make the best stuff they can. They are not sitting around saying "Man I hope we win that patent lawsuit so we can slow down development on the next iThingy".