View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

While somewhat off topic, I will add that there is a solution to the heat problem that is associated with the Poseidon pumps. It is generally accepted that each pump adds between 4 and 6 degrees F. I have 3 of these pumps, so that's a lot of extra heat in my tank. As a result, I have been evaporating a lot of water which is causing humidity issues in my house.

The trick is to take the heat away from the pump before it can transfer to the water. If you put your hand on the pump, you can feel that it runs hot. It is basically acting as an in-line heater.

The simpliest solution would be to direct a fan at the pump. For most people this would probably work well enough, but I don't like the noise and dont really have the space. I also think that there is a more effective solution.

Instead, what I am in the process of setting up is a system similar to water cooling for PCs. It basically consists of a radiator and fan to disapaite the heat. A pump to circulate the coolant, and a heat sink for each pump. All of the parts are available for PC cooling except the heat sink for the pumps.

For the heat sink, I am going to use the copper tubing used to provide water to refrigerator ice cube makers. Available at home depot. My plan is to heat the tubing so that it expands (a little) and then wrap it around the pump in a continuous loop (probably 10 times). My three pumps can then be connected in a loop and the heat can be taken out before it transfers to the water.

One final consideration - at night, I actually like the heat that these pumps generate. It basically means that I never have to run my heater. What I will do is attach the radiator fan to my Aqua Controller and use a temperature condition to turn the fan on and off based on the tank water temperature.

The best of everything - except the dam micro bubbles. If I can't solve that problem, then I won't recommend these pumps to anyone.

Last edited by abcha0s; 02-25-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: typo