View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Triggz is on a distinguished road
Default Hybrid Seahorse fry!! Day 5.

So we had another batch of seahorse fry. These are the H. Barbouri x H. Angustus hybrids again. Instead of giving this batch away I have decided to try and raise them myself.

Once I noticed the batch of fry I quickly went out and bought a jar of pickles. Pickles??? The jar works perfect for a little seahorse nursery. Cleaned it out really well and siphoned the 30 or so fry into the jar. I was able to get some phyto and rotifers (thanks Garry) within a couple hours. I set up a small air pump with some rigid airline and added to the jar. The rigid airline works good in keeping the bubbles coming up the side of the jar. They then hit the curved top and create a circular flow. This helps keep the fry off the top of the water. I also added some bunched up fishing line for them to hitch onto.

Added a bunch of the rotifers using a rotifer mesh and a couple capfulls of phyto. The phyto will help keep the rotifers fed and also battle a bit of the amonia. I did a 100% water change on day 3 and will do continue to do them every 2 or 3 days.

Here are a couple pics

Sphelps also just a batch of these same fry. He took some great close up shots and posted them here if your interested in taking a look:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...=53606&page=14

Ryan