View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyto4life View Post
Thanks Rayjay good info

I'm using 1/2 tsp in a 1G of fertilizer but just started it with half a disc and will split the culture when it get's greener in 4 day's then bump up the fertalizer to 1 tsp hoping to go 6 days before splitting on a regular schedule

should I be aiming for 2 tsp in a 1G in the long run?

how long before I split?
What kind of fertilizer are you using? I don't use MG as the FAF f/2 is economical and doesn't have all the extras that don't get used up by the phyto, and thus getting dumped into the tank.
For f/2, I use 1ml for every 2.5L of culture but simplify it to 1ml per 2 litre bottle for my stock cultures because they will never be used in a tank, only to start new larger cultures.
The problem I have with people using MG, or with overdosing f/2 is that we can't test for expired nutrients because our colour based tests are rendered pretty well useless by the phyto colours.
If you have nutrient that is NOT used up, then it will be added to the tank when you add phyto to the tank, and that fuels nuisance algae in the tank.
For f/2, I go by the recommended dosing and find that it lasts my cultures 8 to 10 days when my density gets to 3.5 cm on the density stick and is ready for harvest.
Occasionally I find a culture going a bit lighter and will add a bit of f/2 to see if it can be salvaged. Works sometimes, but I make sure that I let it go for enough days to cover what I've added.
If you split sooner than needed, you increase the chances of a crash as I've found that the stronger the culture at any time, the less likely it is to crash. Not a guarantee though as bacteria can invade and wipe out anyway.
If I were to dose 2 teaspoons, that would be about 10ml of f/2 so it would do for 25L or approximately 5 1/2gCDN or 6 1/2gUS.