View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryNice View Post
Hi folks!

I'm a "newbie" here and a "newbie" to this hobby and would like to solicit your expertise on lighting. First of all, I am planning to have a custom 143 gallon tank (60"Lx22"Wx25"H). I am in the market for a full light fixture meaning HQI and HO-T5, unfortunately, due to my 60" length it's my understanding that the selection of 60" fixtures is very limited. Also, I believe I require a 250W fixture vs. a 150W because my height/depth is 25". Based on these requirements and my research so far, I have narrowed down my lighting selection to the following:

1) Coralife Aqualife Pro 48" 250W

2) Current USA "Outer Orbit" 60" 250W

3) Maristar 2 48" 250W

Can you provide me your recommendations and feedback? Aside from pricing/value, I am interested in features/highlights that may differentiate each of the fixtures.

Thanks!
I used to have a Current USA "Outer Oribt" 48" 250w. It worked great. The one thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it was a tad noisy. Noisy fans in the fixture and the ballasts were a noisy magnetic ballast. I did like that they had moon lights incorporated though.

I now use the Maristar 72" fixture. Love it. Much quiter, both the fixture itself and the electronic ballast (galaxy ballast). It was also cheaper than the Currents USA. With the Maristar the ballast is separate so you can actually pick which ballast you'd like to use. Also makes it easier if you need it serviced or replaced. With the Currents USA it is a proprietary ballast.

Hope that helps.