Thread: ribbon eel
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 05:58 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Yeah blue ribbon eels are a definite no no. I'll have to pop into J&L to have a word. Let's not jump t o conclusions though... I've talked to them about a couple of other specimens I've found in their store that are not suitable for captivity. The explanation I received is that their collectors can be unpredictable. the store sends in an order, but obviously it cannot be filled to satisfaction all the time; so to make up for the lacking specimens, they just throw in whatever. Sometimes these extra surprise fish are just thrown in for no apparent reason. The problem with surprise specimens is that they're surprises... and surprises aren't always good things. FWIW, I've also never heard of a J&L employee insisting inaccurate information upon an unaware aquarist with the goal of making a sale; they're generally upfront and honest if something has a craptastic chance of survival. That's my experience at least

edit: good call on the white ribbon eel. a beautiful species and not badly suited for captivity. Ideally you'll want one that's eating prepared food at the store as they have a reputation of not being easy (but not impossible either) to wean onto prepared feed. Its a species that's on my wanted list.

Last edited by justinl; 02-08-2010 at 06:00 PM.