View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Tank will be rimless ("trimless" if you will for you nitpicky folks) with beveled edges throughout, and most likely a black background, although I've been seeing some deep blue back grounds (almost black, but not quite) so I may try that out. One thing is that the back won't be drilled (bottom drilled) so I may be able to switch out backgrounds if I want.

Standard glass throughout - a lot of the other items on this build are pretty ballin' but I can't justify to myself the extra cost, especially since the difference once you're pumping so much blue light throughout the tank is visually imperceptable (to myself at least, and that's all that really matters ).

The stand will be like d2mini's stand. I'm currently enamoured with it. Very simple and elegant. It will be stained black to match the coffee table and book case next to where the tank will be. The side panels will be hung magnetically, and the front will be on hinges. The back will be immovable (as it'll be against the wall ).

I'll be hanging the pendant, either from the ceiling or from hangars attached to the wall - more likely the latter at there's the oven vent ducting going right over where the tank is, so I don't think I'll be able to anchor into the ceiling there. eventually I'd like to install a DIY light winch to raise and lower the fixture via remote, but that's a project I'll save for another day.