View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 PM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=sphelps;The purpose of these proteins are to act as a natural sunscreen to reflect UV light." This is theory and it comes up short when you put UV on corals and they don't fluoresce. I'm very interested in the difference between lighting sources and filters for that matter since they're are many different fluorescing proteins I'm sure different filters will cause them to excite. Night sea also uses a red filter for red fluorescing proteins hmm. found this on the night sea site.

Do the NightSea lights emit ultraviolet light?

NightSea's lights are designed to emit a carefully controlled range of blue, not ultraviolet, wavelengths. We started out with ultraviolet a long time ago, but over time learned that blue provides a far superior experience. There are some things that fluoresce under uv but not blue, but overall more things fluoresce, and fluoresce more brightly, when illuminated with the right blue light.

So this carefully controlled range of blue would be the question for me. And they also sell custom lens filters. Mine I just ordered from local camera shop the only one I could find. I might just order some night sea stuff now.