View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Eyford01 is on a distinguished road

Wow great responses, thanks everyone!

Hillegom: I hadn't considered the possibility of metals, I'll have to take
it apart as best I can and see but the electronically cooled is the peltier element Scubasteve mentioned

Mark: yes my major concern was whether or not the cooler would have the power to do the job without frying, maybe I'll get a standby just in case, the one I found was free, lots more to be had cheap (around $50)

Workn2hard2day: I hope your guys were ok when it went! I considered a mini fridge but I figured the water cooler is smaller which is a big plus and is already meant for water therefore less plumbing

Scubasteve: thanks for all the info! I considered a thermoelectric cooler, there's even a company here in Calgary that specializes in generating power for remote stations using these I sent them an email with my enquiry, I feel it may be more reliable, I may switch to it later but I'm worried about the price, in the mean time I'll keep an eye out for used 12v camp coolers and electronics recyclers, also I'm renting and on the top floor so tap water isn't really cold by the time it gets to us even if I could do the replumbing

I'll give it a try, the water cooler just happens to be free so why not? There won't be any animals for awhile yet anyways I'll keep you all posted on my progress, here's to experimentation!