View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I always wondered how you are supposed to be able to "link" them together?....Like Binare said carbon requires 400-600gph and the phosphate medias require 300-400 gph..........I have two reactors and run them with separate pumps because I didnt want the hassle of trying to find all the little parts you'd need to chain them together properly..
Its actually less parts to run em in series, 6" of tubing, as appose to another pump or making up a manifold. I'm not sure what reactors you are using but my TLFs recommend somewhere around 80-90GPH I believe for phosphate media. You want just enough so it "boils". The lower your flow... The more contact time with the media, if you go to fast contact won't be sufficient, carbon of course can be a little higher, but I still wouldn't push more then 200-300gph through it, for the same reasons. Concept is similar to sump design and flow, why push a couple thousand gph threw a sump when your skimmer, refugium and chemical media may only process a small fraction of that. Just food for thought.