View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 PM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel475 View Post
anything you can add to the tank to help it age faster?? like i know with a freshwater you can add some cheap fish to aged it up.. canu do the same with saltwater
You can, I did with my 27 gallon - I had a pair of saltwater acclimated mollys in there for a while. I did it because I started with dry rock and 2lbs of live rock that was out of the water for 5 mins max, so my cycle was so small as to be imperceptible and I was paranoid it hadn't cycled properly.

I don't think I'd bother to do it the next time. Some people think it's cruel, I'm not sure myself as they seemed pretty happy in there, but in hindsight I don't think it was even necessary.
The problem is also that the cheap fish are generally not the ones you want in the end and you then have to get them out (not nearly as trivial as it sounds) and find them a new home.

Fish wise I have a Tomato Clown, Coral Beauty, a Royal Gramma and a large cleaner shrimp in there, plus a couple of hermits and about 7 assorted snails. I reckon I've hit the limit until my 75G upgrade comes online

Again, in hindsight I'd avoid the Tomato Clown in a tank this size because he can be pretty aggressive (will go for my hand and on occasion draw blood) when he wants to be, and it's borderline whether there's enough space for the others to get out of his way.

If you have hermits, make sure there are plenty of assorted shells to avoid fights breaking out over accommodation - I got a big bag of them from the local craft place. Oh, and don't freak out like I did when they molt - it looks just like a hermit crab with no shell! Seriously, it took about 15mins of trying to coax it back into a spare shell before I worked it out!

Hope that helps..