View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

The redbugs are gone once more and everything seems to be as it should. I've upgraded the overflow plumbing from 1-1/2" to 2" in order to quite it down a bit. I still run the small risk of an overflow because I only have the single drain so I've mounted a water level sensor to the top rim of the tank and connected it to my controller. If the water rises too high because something is blocking the overflow the alarm will sound, I'll get a text message and the return pump will shut off. This saved me from a potential disaster over the christmas holiday. Learn from my mistake folks... drill your tank for TWO overflows.

My skimmer is running a little bit better now with this Iwaki 70 pump which replaced the Iwaki 55 that I was using. It ran well before switching but now its able to process even more water.

The coral keeps growing and thankfully the bryosis is receding. Unfortunately most of my fish are the hiding sort (unless its feeding time). In there somewhere is a tomato clown, purple tang, mandarin dragonet, fu manchu lionfish, snowflake moray eel, and copperbanded butterfly.

The frag tank is where I spend most of my time. Sawing and snipping, tethering and gluing... I bought that big elegance a month ago. What I ordered was a frag of an Australian elegance and what I received was a large colony instead. I'm hoping that my purchase and placement was educated enough and that I will be successful. This is the second (and the last) elegance that I will buy. The first one was an Indonesian a few years ago that died within a week. If I'm successful with this Australian I plan to try fragging it in a years time.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour