View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

Well, this upcoming nano contest has renewed my interest in this build. i haven't done anything with this since October. Life kinda got in the way and no progress was made. But as of last night.... SALT HAS BEEN ADDED! We now have a salt water aquarium. Live rock will be going in this weekend. Lighting will be put within the next 3 weeks.

Quote:
Nice! You probably already know this: gate valves would give you a lot more precise control over your flow but unfortunately they come at a lot higher price. But since you don't have herbies flow control may not be too much of an issue. I have a herbie set up with a ball valve and it tends to creep a lot more than a gate valve. Are you finding any issues with that on the system yet? With your set up maybe it doesn't matter at all?
With the space restrictions, gate valves were not a viable option with this build. I prefer to use them when I can, due to ease of adjustment. Not using them shouldnt create any difficulties however, I have found the biggest issues with balls getting clogged over time is when they are 75% or more closed. Before that point, they tend to be consistent IMO, and all the ones in this system are within that range(except one)