Thread: Puppy Training
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

First, a really good read is a book called Control Unleashed. Great info on managing "disorderly" dogs. Also, I can tire out my border collie in about 10 minutes while sitting on the floor training her with a clicker. Clicker training makes them think hard, and thinking hard is hard work. There is no need to run your pup for hours a day. Another thing I'd look into is a DVD called Crate Games...it's designed more for sport dogs, but the first few phases teach self control, I found it to be a fabulous tool.
As for dominant, I think the case is more that the pup is sensing your frustration, and without feeling your clear direction, is taking it upon himself to direct his own actions. The book above will help with that. Lots of Milan's stuff is probably similar. Goggle clicker training and read some of Karen Pryor's stuff on it, it's a great way to tire your pup without leaving the house.
to add, there are lots of comments about tiring him out being important. I'd have to disagree. The real key is to have a relationship where the dog respects your direction on when he can act up and when he can be a good dog. Yes, excercise is important, but running your dog into the ground to bypass correcting behavioural issues is not the way to do it. If I had to physically tire out my dogs everyday, I'd be ready for the olympics Again, the book will give you advice on getting to this type of relationship. Clicker training will also help, as it builds the dogs confidence and lets him learn to be successful working with you. This starts the realtionship where your dogs looks to you for direction.

Last edited by Aquattro; 01-04-2010 at 04:55 AM.