Thread: Puppy Training
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I have a dog walking/training business, and I can say exercise is the biggest factor in having a healthy, happy and well rounded dog. When dogs get out they socialize. Because I walk unruly dogs (hyper and frustrated due to lack of exercise), it is up to me to teach them how I run my pack and my own dogs help me with this themselves. People that hire me to take their dogs hiking, very quickly learn how essential I am to how their dogs behave. They say they are much more willing to listen and are very content. I leave with crazy dogs and come back with dogs that listen and the owners think I am the dog guru.

Please watch Cesar Milan and read his books. This man is the God of dogs to me, and he has common sense ways that help deal with any issue people have with their dogs.

With the leash pulling and barking, you should keep advancing ahead and not allow him to fixate on anything aside of moving forward. You do this by making quick corrections with his lead and having his collar fairly high up on his neck. Make sure they are looking and moving forward and not looking back. Just keep walking and correcting and tell him "no" or just make a noise (whatever you want) that is quick and gets his attention. Cesar Milan uses the famous "shhhhh". You can use "yuck" or whatever guttural noise you like to use.

Cesar says "exercise, discipline and affection"... it really works.

I have a new English Stafford puppy that is quite a handful at time, but I am very consistent with her exercise and discipline. If she was in a single dog home and did not get out with lots of dogs like she does in her life with me, she would be dog aggressive for sure. With her personality, a person could have had issues with her, since she is a little fire ball of a puppy. She LOVES people, but is stubborn and hard headed like most bully breeds can be. All dogs will test their boundaries and challenge as they grow and bond with you.

Neutering your little guy may have calmed him down for now, but he will still need to be worked with daily. I have a two year old intact male Stafford and he is by far, the calmest dog I have ever owned. I think all dogs have personalities and even when you have them altered, they won't stray too far from what they really are.

Another thing you might want to consider is day care a couple of times a week. It would be good for him to interact with other dogs and learn a pack mentality. It socializes them and teaches them the tools on how to deal with other dogs in any situation. Dogs in a pack behave differently, and you see the older ones teach the younger what is acceptable behavior and what manners in a pack really are. If you ever watched how my personal dogs interact with my client's dogs, you would be amazed at how much dogs learn from each other. You actually see them having light bulb moments and watch them change for the better. My rottie girl is my star pupil and teacher dog. She knows how things are to be and will correct other dogs (not a harsh of violent reaction), and make sure they behave the way I expect them to behave.

When you buy a pup from an ethical breeder the pup is a minimum of 8 weeks old (10 weeks is best), and has learned a huge amount from its mother and siblings. Also a good breeder will match a puppy with the potential owners personalities and life style. I don't know how old your pup was when he was weaned and taken away from his mother, but this may have some thing to do with some of your issues as well.

Good luck with your pup, and I hope this some what helps you out.