Thread: Puppy Training
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

So its been a few weeks since Diesel got neutered and he is actually listening and progressing much better now. He has the same energy levels as before but seems to actually stop and try to figure out what I am asking him to do even when he is running around like an idiot. So that's been great.

He also seems very, very cuddly and loving since loosing his boys I guess he's gone soft lol. It's really nice actually. He seems to enjoy our company much more than before.

One thing though that has not changed and is the one thing that drives me nuts more than anything else is how he reacts to meeting new people/dogs or how he reacts when he wants to meet people or dogs.

For example last night I was walking him and he was great for most of the walk until near the end when he saw a lady that for whatever reason he HAD to meet. He starts to pull, bark, whine, ect. I hold him back and try to get him to sit but no matter what I do, he will just persist. In this case, the lady wanted nothing to do with him and kept walking. We went around a corner and he was still whining and pulling to go back.

Anyone dealt with this before? Or have some ideas?

When people come over we ask them to ignore the dog and we lease him so that he cannot get to them either. It takes a good 10 minutes for him to calm down but then after we allow the people to approach him, he goes nuts again. On new years eve we had a party with quite a few friends over and he stayed on the lease all night because he couldn't calm down. We took him off a few times to try but he knocked over drinks, jumps on people and just tears around the condo.

I can't really ever tire this dog out. I run almost everyday and now take him with me but even after a long run, he is not tired! He can out run me easily.

Basically we are pretty happy with him lately other than meeting new dogs and people. He just can't seem to handle it!