View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 03:03 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Ok so your a tech at a Toyota dealer, Do you not like working on cars anymore, usually its only dealers that are on a flat rate system, except for CT. Have you ever tried private shops. A lot of them provide full benefits and are less stressfull to work for. As for the "stigma" of the auto industry. As opposed to what? The great reputation some other professions have. Name one profession that hasn't had some sort of problem or scandal. I have been a tech for 30+ years and own my own shop, all our techs have full benefits and are paid pretty well. We have an outstanding reputation that I work hard at to maintain. If you don't like working on vehicles then yeah, get out, but if you do, then look at other aspects of the industry. Not all repair shops are the same. Imo you are thinking the grass is greener but in my experience it usually isn't. There are lots of other areas in automotive you can go to if you have a passion for vehicles. Best advise is your going to have to figure out what you are really passionate about doing, and having every Tom, Dick and Harry give you suggestions may confuse you even more. A few years ago good auto techs were like hens teeth, now that the industry has slowed a bit I see a lot of young guys floating around as it is slow at some places. I guarantee you that there is a shop in your city that is busy, go talk to them and drop off a resume, or check around, ask fellow techs..yada, yada, yada. Don't let your current job jade your opinion of the industry. I will disagree with the Snap On idea as you had better be a really good salesman or you will be making a lot less money than you are now, they are hurting for dealers because a lot have gotten out of the business. Unless you can take over a very productive area you will starve.My 2 cents about that. Good luck on whatever you do.