View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 AM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
what were you running befor that you think you are going to notice a savings? 10 bulbs at 54 watts each is 540 watts plus a bit for the ballast I would say you are up around 555watts. My 250 watt HQIs used about 680 watts so the differance there is only about a few bucks a month if they are run the same amount of time. the overall heat output will be slightly lower but 540 watts of light is still a ton of heat. not as much point source but almost as much radiating into the room.

Steve
My old ballast was a dual 250W HQI M80 type ballast that was a full 9 amps + two 54W T5's = 608 watts of pure heat. The new Powermodule is 5 amps with 540 watts, the heat must be at least 50% less.

My tank now stays a full 2 degrees cooler than before and my heater in on more often. The room itself is way cooler and the cooling fan almost never comes on. Not to mention the chiller will almost never come on now unless it is 35 degrees outside.

I am not sure what the power savings will be but I am sure I will see some. I am actually not too worried about the savings, I am just so happy about the way the tanks looks and the fact it does not bake the room.