View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 AM

Carmen is on a distinguished road
Default 144G Half Circle Mixed Reef

And so the upgrade begins.....

Well I truly thought that I'd be happy with the 72 G Bowfront - big enough for me I thought! But...A recent house move allowed me the perfect opportunity to "upgrade"!

I figure since I've never really done a tank journal, I will try to for this tank.

I purchased a "used" 144G Half Circle Tank. The tank came fully stocked with approx 150lbs+ of Live Rock, MH Light fixture, Calcium Reactor, Skimmer, ATO, etc etc etc...

Dimensions of the tank are 57.5" X 29" X 29"

I was really looking for a bowfront but this one was a deal that was truly way too good to pass up. And I still get the "curved" look so I went for it. This tank is MUCH larger than I was looking for. And has already proved to be abit more challenging than I thought it would be.

I picked it up today and it was originally owned by someone who did NO tank maintenance on his own (hired someone to maintain it) and knew VERY little about the tank at all. The tank tear down was purely my own responsibility with NO help from owner. Thanks to family we got the job done but not without a whole lot of effort! The sump was not removeable and could not move the stand with it inside so we had to completely take the stand apart to move it. Way more work for everyone. PLUS this tank is HEAVY!!!

But we got it home.
Liverock is temporarily in rubbermaid bins and fish have been sold except 1! I kept the coral though most are in bad shape and nothing to get excited about.

Here's a couple pictures of the tank empty. I need to have a sump built since the existing sump is not adequate. I hope to have this done within a week or 2 and move on to adding water! Need a little help from a friend (Fishytime) on getting this thing plumbed properly and we shall be ready to roll! I will need to re-cycle the tank before I can transfer the contents of my 72G into it. Anxious to have my tank back since my Mom has had the tank at her house while we moved houses.

Definately tough to take pictures of the curved tank!

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp

Last edited by Carmen; 03-27-2010 at 04:05 AM.