View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 AM

reefbyremote is on a distinguished road
Question Flow Rates and Small, Young Fish

I have been reading here for months and obtained great advice/tips from many of you, thank you. Since mid September I have been setting up a 90 g witha 30 g sump. I have cycled the tank with cured live rock, sand and chateo obtained from a local hobbyist (thanks Darcy!) and some mollies who did very well. I now have no measurable levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrates. The tank is full of invert life with lots of copepods, worms, small brittle stars etc. Corraline is growing as is some other "good" green algae. Their was also some gps, kenya tree, mushrooms and ricordea on the LR and it is doing well.

Here is the rub... I added 5 small (1 to 1.5 inch) green chromis from the LFS. All was well for the first week- they were active in the water flow and pick at any particles coming by. Then almost every other day we pulled one out of the overflow or sump. Then slowly over about 7 days one by one they exhibited a vertical mark on their sides and then after a couple of days died. We believe the mark is from the overflow.

I waited 3 weeks and then bought a dragon sleeper goby (sand sifting), 2 peppermint shrimp (for aiptasia- I have a little), and 2 x 1 inch true percula clowns. The first night (last night) one of the clowns went in the overflow. I pulled him out and he is now recovering-looking exhausted. I have turned off my powerhead for now. The other additions are doing well.

I am running my return pump and a single Koralia 3 powerhead. From what I have read this gives me relatively little water flow- in fact I was considering getting another powerhead to help circulation and move detritus. Now my fear is that I have too much water flow as it is for these small/young fish.

I would appreciate hearing about others experience on this issue. Thank you.