View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default Two Parts are better than One.

So even though I've had the doser for a little while now, I have only just recently started to dose. I am dosing Randy's Two Part, Baking Soda for Alk and Calcium from Littlesilvermax. I also ordered up some Magnesium from him but haven't dosed that yet.

To figure out how much I needed to dose I simply propped up my chemistry to the levels I wanted (8 dkH, 420 calc, 1350 Mag.). I then tested the big 3 (alk, calc, and mag), once a day to see how much the tank consumed. I did this for 3 days to come up with an average consumption rate. Looks like I use about 144ml of Alk in 24 hours. I dose this at an interval of 6 hours, 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6pm. I consume about 200ml of Calcium in 24 hours. I also dose this at an interval of 6 hours, 3am, 9am, 3pm, 9pm. I have yet to figure out how much magnesium I'm consuming as it doesn't seem to drop that much at all. So I'm currently only dosing the two parts via the doser and will probably just manually dump in magnesium whenever (unless I can figure out the actual depletion rate).

Current tank parameters are:

Specific Gravity: 1.026 (ish)
Alk: 8.5
Calc: 420
Mag: 1200

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphates: 0
(can't seem to get a reading for any of these on my test kits. Might start trying a different set of test kits soon).

Runing Rowaphos (gfo) and carbon in two phosban reactors. Media changed once a month.

25 gallon water change once a week. I briefly toyed with the idea of doing a water change every other day. That didn't last long!

Last edited by kien; 11-04-2009 at 10:20 PM.