Thread: Go
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Just curious but couldn't a warped image be shaped flat with some good post processing? It's just geometry right?
When I was doing my Master's thesis work, we videoed salmon using an underwater camera with a bowed lense. It took a special program to digitally "un-bow" the images or to flatten them out so another program would allow us to use the computer mouse to help size the fish without physicall handling them. I don't think that such a program is commercially available but for someone who was reallllllllly determined to do this, it may be possible. You would have to capture images of a grid with known spacing, then click the mouse on each intersection of the lines. Then through trial and error in programming the right algorythm, you could try to find one that spreads out the image until the grid is again flattened digitally. Simple, no?

I think the lining up the camera lense to the plane of the glass is by far the better method than trying to digitally flatten the image using geometry or computer programming