View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 05:08 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default Onward and Upward...

The extension for my skimmer arrived today and I couldn't resist putting it in place. Unfortunately, the carbon cup for the very top wasn't built quite correctly so that will have to wait for another time.

If I ever get out of the hobby, I've got a start on an interesting Halloween costume!

Close a valve and water stops going to the skimmer allowing me to dismantle it even while the pumps are still running.

Add the new section....

Put the top back on, open the valve and away she goes! I can't go any higher than this because the water line in the skimmer would become higher than the overflow box that is feeding the skimmer. At this height, the reaction chamber is 12"D x 40"H. At 600gph that makes the dwell time inside the skimmer about 2 minutes. The water is calmer at the top of the skimmer now than previously.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436