Thread: 140g
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 06:27 PM

Ken is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi Josie, I'm a big fan of downdraft skimmers, had them for many years, currently I have a ETSS 1400 dual downdraft skimmer powered by a Iwaki MD70 RLT 1750 gph on my 500 gallon reef since 2000, I have no intentions in upgrading at all despite the newer skimmer that have come on the market. They need a pump to be sized properly in order to run efficiently, a lot of hobbyist donot size the pump correctly to run the skimmer properly, I know a lot of hobbyist back then that was ready to throw out the downdraft because it was not working efficiently, today many of them are still running the downdraft, some switched over to in sump needlewheel due to money burning in their pockets and newer technology. Downdrafts are noisy and they take up a lot of space, mine is hooked up externally to the sump. In my fishroom, noise is not a concern, considering all the other tanks running. I never took my skimmer apart for cleaning or replacing the bioballs, all I did was clean out the collection cup, the adjustment was set 9 years ago and never touched since. I don't know too much about the downdraft you have, but depending on space and where you have the aquarium, a downdraft skimmer may not be for everyone, downdraft are not as popular today as back then because again a lot of exciting good skimmers are coming to the market... hmmmm a vertex alpha cone again love the 140 gal, now happy aquarium and back to mine regards Ken