View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 10:59 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road
Default Live Rock/Base Rock Question

Hey guys,

ok so I have a mixture of rock here that Im wanting to get into my system.
  • I have about 20 lbs of dry rock that was in a fellow reefers system about 5 months ago. This rock had aiptasia on it and has been drying out for those 5 months. Yesterday I sprayed it down pretty good and scrubbed it a bit to get off loose particles and some old dried out aiptasia.
  • Next I have some live rock I bought from a reefer about a month ago. Its been in a rubbermaid tub with a lid on it to prevent any evaporation as well as a heater and powerhead circulating the water. I have about 30 lbs of this.
  • Lastly I have some rock I bought from Gold's aquarium and also a piece from Pisces. In total here I have about 22 lbs. These are fully cured I suppose.

So my question is mostly pertaining to the dry base rock that had aiptasia on it, do you guys think, now that Ive cleaned it off, that I should just add to my system right now with all the other rock? This is a brand new system, this is the first rock going in and its basically going to start my cycle. So should I put in that dry stuff now or should I put it into the rubbermaid for a bit first (maybe a couple weeks?) to leach out any other nutrients it still may have on it and then into the display?

Thanks!